SuperSized Morning Star Block

Posted in Quilt Blocks on Sep 11, 2013

Welcome to Week #1 of the SuperSized Block Along!  For those of you just finding us, we are going to be making a SuperSized 4 block sampler using 18″ blocks.

Today’s block has been published under many names:  The Double Star, Circle Saw, Dutch Rose, Eccentric Star, Morning Star, Octagonal Star, Orphan Star, Star and Diamond, Star of the East, and Triple Star.  This block was originally published(in many publications) in the 1930′s.

The original block would have been a little bit trickier to piece as it would have been made using templates and plenty of inset seams and it would have finished at 12″. =)  I simplified the piecing on the block and at 18″ the many pieces aren’t so teeny to work with.

The Morning Star Quilt block is very similar to the Carpenter’s Wheel Quilt block.  Both blocks have the same overall look but because of fabric placement within the blocks, require different piecing.   Below you’ll find a handy PDF block pattern to complete the Morning Star Quilt Block–just click the link and you’ll be ready to print it out.  Alternatively, I have also posted the complete block pattern below the PDF link if that is more convenient for you.

Morning Star Block PDF Pattern

You will see that I have the individual block cutting instructions listed with the block.  However, if you prefer to cut all of your pieces ahead of time here’s a handy cutting chart for the whole sampler.  Click the link for the printable PDF.

SuperSized Cutting Instructions For the Whole Sampler

If you missed the fabric requirements from last week, here they are again:

Fabric Requirements

1/2 yard of 7 print fabrics for pieced blocks, 1 1/2 yard white solid for block background and quilt sashing(Note: if you plan to sash the blocks in a different fabric than your block background then you will need 1 1/4 yard of fabric for the block background and 1/2 yard fabric for the sashing), 1/2 yard binding fabric, 2 7/8 yard backing fabric.

I hope you all enjoy piecing your Morning Star Blocks this week!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

16 to “SuperSized Morning Star Block”

Beautiful work!!

Wonderful!!!

hugs

Maria Filomena

Marcia R. says:

So beautiful! I’m excited to do this and am really glad you gave cutting for entire sampler. That will help me to actually get all four blocks completed!

Marcia R. says:

Have you put info about this on Instagram?

Joan B. says:

I’ve always wanted to do a block along and I love your choices! I’m going to participate! Any suggestions on pressing of the seams? I’m sure I can figure most of it out, but just wandered if there were any particular seams that needed attention to go one way or the other. Thanks!

palak says:

I love oversized blocks (have one on the blog today!) This Morning Star block is gorgeous!

Debi says:

Thank you so much for the time and effort that goes into these patterns! This one is delightful and I will be following along – with the goal in mind of reducing my stash! :)

Joan says:

Thank you for sharing this lovely block and I like the size.

Cheryl says:

I like this block. I just printed it out. Thanks!

thanks for this tutorial. I habe pinned it!

SharonZ says:

Thanks so much for putting the instructions into PDF format. That makes it so much easier for me. Love the first block.

rosa says:

This morning star is absolutely beautiful though it`s remind me Carpenter wheel.Thanks !

This looks like so much fun! I’m hoping I can join you! I’ll definitely spread the word on my blog!

Anita says:

Beautiful lock! Thanks for the tut and PDF :)

I really like that you give all the alternate names of the block…I find that information very interesting. thanks :)

Jackie says:

I’ve just found your blog. Love the 18″ block.
    TFS.

[...] prior to Saturday–you will want to make sure you have the current cutting instructions listed in this blog post.  Again, this only applies to the “Cutting Instructions for the Whole [...]

[...] couldn’t resist the Super-sized Sampler Block Along at Little Miss Shabby any longer.  I’ve made the first 18 1/2″ block, and I’m [...]

Linda says:

Thank you for this tutorial, I just printed it out. I like the idea of being able to print it out. This Sampler would make a quick & easy quilt.

[...] whips together in no time.  If you followed the complete sampler cutting instructions listed in this post then you already have the pieces cut that you will be using.  If you didn’t, you will need [...]

1. LMS | SuperSized Lone Star of Paradise 18 09 13