SuperSized Lone Star of Paradise

Posted in Quilt Blocks, SuperSized Sampler on Sep 18, 2013

Welcome to all of the new followers to the LMS blog!  It seems that I am not alone in my love for these SuperSized Star blocks! =)

I want to start out this weeks post with one quick cutting note for those of you who may have missed Monday’s post.  I completed all of my SuperSized star blocks last week and in doing so I made a couple changes to the construction of one of our blocks.  This changed the “Cutting instructions for the Whole Sampler” info. I posted last Wednesday–a few more pieces were needed to be cut from some of the fabrics.  If you saved or printed out those instructions prior to Saturday–you will want to make sure you have the current cutting instructions listed in this blog post.  Again, this only applies to the “Cutting Instructions for the Whole Sampler”.

This week’s block is the Lone Star of Paradise block.  It was originally published in 1933 and unlike our other blocks it is usually only listed by this name.  However, you may notice that the block is very similar in construction to the Morning Star block(actually it could be constructed exactly the same way only with different fabric placement) and because of that you will sometimes find it listed as a Morning Star Block or any of the other block names the Morning Star block is known by.  I changed the construction of the block from the original which would have included inset seams & simplified the piecing & of course SuperSized it to 18″.

18in. Lone Star of Paradise PDF Instructions

I hope you are all enjoying these blocks!  I was in at my LQS today and almost had to purchase some Winter’s Lane to make a 2nd SuperSized Sampler.  They are a lot of fun to make!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 to “SuperSized Lone Star of Paradise”

Lynette says:

That’s a pretty one!

Mary Reinhardt says:

Corey, this is another beautiful block. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Marcia R. says:

Corey, these are so much fun! Is there a flickr group to post our blocks in?

Katy says:

They are fun!

Kathleen Dalecio says:

This block is even prettier than the Morning Star block! This sampler is going to be beautiful! Thank you for sharing your Super Sized blocks with us.
    I do have one question though, about the changes to the cutting instructions for the whole sampler… I compared the PDF from today’s post to the first one and can’t find the difference(s). This makes me unsure about replacing the instructions. Would you kindly point out one change or date the new instructions? Thank you so much.

• 5.1
      Corey says:

The cutting instructions were updated on my blog last week so you may already have the updated instructions. =) One way to double check is the 2nd fabric down in the cutting instructions the Lime Geometric Print in the original cutting instructions had (4) 3 1/8″ squares cut diagonally once–the updated instructions do not.

• Kathleen Dalecio says:

Thank you so much for the clarification, Corey. You’re absolutely correct about the version of the cutting instructions I was viewing. I downloaded your cutting instruction last week and not the one from the original post! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

elsa says:

Such a lovely block ~ the fabrics are perfect!0

Rhonda says:

such a great block!

Katie says:

Thank you for putting this sampler together! My mom and I are doing it from separate continents and having a great time!