That Red Quilted Pillow–A Free Tutorial

Posted in hand quilting, Pillows, Tutorials on Mar 20, 2013

I get asked quite frequently for a tutorial on this little pillow which I made for a class I taught awhile back.  It’s gotten pinned and repinned quite a bit over on pinterest–especially after Joann Fabrics pinned it(how fun!).

Can’t take credit for the Daisy pillow–I received it in a round of the Pillow Talk Swap.

I’ve decided to offer the tutorial here on my blog for anyone interested in making one of their own!  It’s a super easy tutorial with tons of pictures–including all of the finishing details(binding/pillow back).  The quilting is easy to do & a perfect project for a beginning quilter.

Patchwork Pillow Tutorial

The tutorial itself doesn’t have the supplies listed so here they are:

Pillow Supplies:

25–3″ squares of assorted fabrics

1/2 yard fabric for pillow top backing and pillow backing or a 15″ square piece of muslin for pillow top back and 1/3 yard print fabric for pillow backing)

1/4 yd. fabric for binding

14″ square piece of batting

505 Spray & Fix temporary adhesive

Perle Cotton

embroidery needle (size 5)

water erasable marker

thimble (optional if preferred for quilting)–quilting can also be done without a thimble for this project

12″ pillow form

Enjoy!

8 to “That Red Quilted Pillow–A Free Tutorial”

Miss Nancy says:

Love this pillow!!! So bright and cheery! Thank you for the tutorial.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day!

Ava says:

This is an awesome tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing.

Trish says:

Thank you soooo much for being an angel :)

Jeneta says:

I love both pillows – thanks for sharing the tutorial. I really need to make each of them and have the perfect fabric!

Becky says:

Thank you for the tutorial. I am not a quilter, so this looks manageable. I saved it in my patterns to make file, and like that it is a small project!

[...] That Red Quilted Pillow from Little Miss Shabby – This beginner tutorial will have you creating a gorgeous decorative quilted pillow.  It is [...]

Norma says:

Gorgeous pillow pattern and so easy. Thank you for sharing the tutorial.

Joanna says:

Hello, could you please explain in more details how the back should be done. I understand that it is done with the 2 rectangles but still cannot catch it how. Your tutorial is great but I am completly new to patchwork and probably that’s why I cannot see it. I understand that the staffing comes in to the pillow case through the back?Could you also give me the measurment of the back is this 18 inches or more?I would like to make it for my daughter. Thank you in advance for your help and explanation. Have a good day. Joanna

[…] That Red Quilted Pillow from Little Miss Shabby – This beginner tutorial will have you creating a gorgeous decorative quilted pillow. It is […]

[…] On quilts: Image thanks to The red quilted pillow – a free tutorial […]

Rosemarie says:

Love your blog! Thanks so much for the lil birdie patterns. looking forward to making this one!

1. Resources for First Time Quilters ~ And An Easy Beginner Project! | Sweet Benanna&Sam 16 04 13
  2. Resources for First Time Quilters ~ And An Easy Beginner Project! | 13 03 14