String Star Tutorial

Posted in Fabric Stash, Quilt Blocks on Aug 16, 2012

September is my month in the Stash Trad Bee & I have totally been struggling with what block to have my group members make for me.  I have finally decided to go with a scrappy String Star.  Now, I know that I have seen a tutorial for this block somewhere (I can find the 6 pointed string star–but, I really wanted the 8 pointed one) but I’ve looked high and low to no avail.  So, here’s a tutorial of my own–it includes templates which I think makes things pretty easy–the one I had originally spotted did not.  If anyone stumbles across the one I had originally seen–please let me know, I’d love to give credit!

*Thanks to Ellen the block I had originally seen has been tracked down.  Thanks so much Ellen!–You can see the block I originally saw here.

Let’s get started:

You will need:

• a bunch of 1″ strings–for my block I am using a combo of Aqua, Coral, Yellow, Green & Grey/Taupe.
  • a bunch of 2″ strings in the same colors(you’ll use these at the very tips of each diamond)
  • a 1″ x WOF string from a solid of your choice (Kona Snow in my block)
  • (4) 4 3/8″ squares cut diagaonlly once from solid of your choice (Kona Snow in my block)
  • (4) 3 3/8″ squares cut diagonally once from solid of your choice (Kona Snow in my block)
  • 4 copies of The Templates (make sure to set your page scaling to “none” when printing these out)

Begin by placing one of the solid strings aligned so the top edge runs thru the points on the right and left–you can see the placement in the picture above.  Use a little bit of temp. fabric spray adhesive to hold it into place & work from the non printed side.

After placing the solid string properly work the strings just as you would with any other string block until the diamond shape is covered with strings.  Make sure to shorten up your stitch length  You’ll notice that I used all 1″ strings for my block–in hindsight, I should have used (1) 2″ string at the points on each end.

Flip the block over and trim on the 1/4″ seam allowance line(the lighter line around the edge).  Remove paper.

Continue to make a total of 8 diamonds.

You will probably want to lay out the block before sewing the triangles in place as the triangle orientation varies.  Sew a small triangle and a right triangle onto each diamond unit like so(4 units will be made with this orientation & 4 with the opposite orientation–you’ll make a total of 8 units).

Sew together the units made above into 4 quarter units(here you can see the two different orientations).

Sew the quarters together to complete the block.

And there ya go!  A fun, mostly mindless block. =)

45 to “String Star Tutorial”

This is great Corey! I have a plan for using it. Thank you.

elsa says:

oh, I love this block ~ it’s really beautiful!

elsa says:

Oh and thanks for the tutorial too!

Britt-Inger says:

it is a wonderful block, I love it. Thanks for the tutorial

Wendy says:

This is a beautiful block. What are the measurements when finished?

Britt-Inger says:

Hi I forgot to change my email address
    And it is a very wonderful block, that I must try to make

Pamela says:

Love this!!! It’s perfect… Thanks for the tutorial.

Pamela says:

I did find this one

It looks a lot harder and is a little bit different.

Angela says:

oh pretty! I was wondering what you would pick. Now I get to use some of those skinny strip scraps I have. ;)

Jeanne Marie Wallace says:

oh yes I too now know what to do with all my left over stings and wht nots,,

Susan says:

Thanks for the great tutorial.
    Gwen Marston has a pattern for a string star in her Liberated String Quilts book. She used a black string in the center of the diamonds. It’s amazing how fabric choices can make the same quilt block look completely different! That’s one of the things I love about quilting–every quilter can express herself in her own individual way.

• 11.1
      Corey says:

I totally had to track down a picture of her quilt!–It’s fabulous!–Thank you so much for sharing–that black strip is perfect–I hadn’t ever seen her block–but it’s totally what I was going for–minus the wonkyness.

Oh I love this block! Thanks for the tut and template! :-)

Ailsa says:

Beautiful!!!

I’ll have to have a go at this – once I’ve collected some 1″ strings

Liz M says:

Thanks for a great tutorial – I know there was more to make from my box of 1″ strips than mini log cabins!

traceyjay says:

it’s so pretty!
    I’ve made this kind of 8 point star a few times, what a great idea to do the strips!

Barb says:

That block is just wonderful!!

Anne Dearle says:

Thank you for a wonderful tutorial. I am going to share it with my quilting group. Lovely bright fabric.

Robbin says:

Awsome, thanks so much! I can’t wait to try this myself.

Diana F. says:

This I found with a Google Search ” 8 POINT STAR BLOCK ” more pages if you choose IMAGE search

• 19.1
      Corey says:

What a wonderful resourse on inset seams!–it’s an excellent tutorial on a basic 8 point star–and the pressing instructions are great! The original tutorial that I saw had the strips for the star. Thanks so much for trying to find the tutorial!

Anne says:

That is an awesome block! I have had a block keeper for my stitching on the agenda for some time now – guess what the front cover is going to be?

Lorraine says:

Love this block !!
    Thanks for the tut & templates :)

Anita says:

Great tutorial, thanks for sharing!

Karen H says:

I’ve always loved the look of this block, but thought it would be too difficult to make. Thank you for the tutorial. I think I can actually handle it! :)

Oooooh, I can’t wait to make this! How beautiful!

Jan says:

this is lovely – would make a great centre piece for a pillow top

Ellen Ban says:

Liesl Made posted a tutorial for this as part of her Mini Patchwork Sampler Quilt Series. Your star is beautiful! Can’t wait to try one of these with all my scraps.

Gladys says:

It’s so beautiful! I love it! Thank’s for sharing with us! A hug!

Gertie Pye says:

Fab tutorial – just hopped across from Lily’s Quilts where I saw her string star block which is as lovely as yours!

Sandi says:

This is adorable. I must make this. Thank you for taking the time to help your fellow quilters with a comprehensive tute. You are a doll.

Mary Pat says:

What a great block….looks easy enough to do. Great way to use up stash.

Kirsten says:

Love this string star – so pretty! Thank you so much for the tutorial Corey.

Tiffany says:

Hi! I was wondering if you could help – I made 4″ diamonds and want to make this block – just bigger. Do you know how I can figure out how big to make those triangles on each side? Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Brooke says:

For some reason the template won’t load on my computer – could you email it to me? Thanks!

Susie says:

Hi Corey,
    I fell in love with your scrappy string star!
    I just made my first one, and have a blog…. www. susiesSunroom.blogspot.com , and would love to post about what I made using this block.
    If you email me, I can send you pictures. Do I have your permission to link to your post on the string star , and show one picture of the block, in my blog?
    Thanks so much, I love all of your work!!
    Susie

[...] 8. Embellished Dishtowels9. String Star Block [...]

Grannymarty says:

Found you on Pinterest. Love the scrappy block, I’m finding I’m more attracted to small piecing as time goes by! Will use and love this. Just not real original all on my own.

Nina says:

I would love to try this block. Thank you so much for the pattern!
    A great way to use treasured bits I can’t part with.

I have a question about your string star quilt block. Are the strings all sewed together first so there are no raw edges showing? The block is lovely and I would like to try it for my granddaughter’s quilt. I just wanted to make sure how it is sewn. I understanding about sewing the strips with the paper attached and adding the triangles, but just wasn’t clear on the strips themselves.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you.
    Margaret Hawley

Connie Rodriguez says:

Thanks for the pattern the block is amazing

peggy says:

My gosh, I don’t think I have ever seen a quilt block I loved so much! It is absolutely beautiful. This is the first time I have said I don’t think I can do this. Does this string method make it that easy that anyone should try it? I really have never been afraid of making anything but wow! Thanks for sharing, again what an inspiration you are!

Glenis says:

Being a fairly new quilter that’s not very confident yet I think I can do this. Love the effect. Thank you

1. Scrappy Days- 50 Scrap Busting Projects to try! | And Sew We Craft 19 04 13