Fusion Blanket Crochet Along

Posted in Fusion Blanket Crochet Along on Jul 03, 2012

Welcome everyone to the Fusion Blanket Crochet Along!  Cindy , Deb, & I are ready to get this party started!

By now, you’ve probably picked up most of your supplies, if not, you can reference this post for what you will need to get started.  If you are looking for shops with great selections of precuts, Southern Fabric is a great one to check–I was just scoping out her site and she’s even got in some early precuts of Marmalade!  These are sure to go fast!  I also think Seaside would make an amazing blanket–Randi just got some in last week–it’s one of the lines that I have been waiting for. =)

So, let’s get cracking!

If you aren’t starting with charm squares, begin by cutting your fabrics into 5″ squares.  My blanket will be 8 squares by 10 squares so I have cut 160 charm squares, 80 for the front and 80 for the back.

Step #1.

Step #2

For this step, you could also opt to hand sew the opening closed.

Step #3

I marked my blanket stitch at 1/2″ intervals–you can certainly go closer together if you prefer!

You are now ready to complete the blanket stitch around the edge.  If you are unfamiliar with the blanket stitch, there are a lot of great tutorials on You Tube or via a quick google search for blanket stitch.

I used a double thickness of thread to complete my blanket stitch.  You’ll need a very sturdy needle with a large eye if you choose to double up your thread.  Also, make sure to give yourself plenty of thread to work with–it takes more than you might think!

*I am using crochet thread for my blocks.*  On my practice block, I used 8 wt. perle cotton which was also a great choice(it is easier to work with than the two strands of crochet thread).

Repeat for the remainder of your charm squares.

Next Tuesday, Cindy will be sharing Part Two of our Fusion Blanket Crochet Along.

Be sure to share your own progress in our flickr group.  We love to see how everyone’s blankets are taking shape!

*Original Fusion Blanket Pattern by Sewing Daisies can be found here.*

20 to “Fusion Blanket Crochet Along”

Cathy says:

What kind of thread do you do the blanket stitch with???
    Is this regular embroidery thread…and use 12 strands???
    or 4 strands? Thanks ♥♥♥

Mary says:

Same question….what thread are you using for the blanket stitch?

Ellyn Z says:

I had some fat quarters of nice quality flannel & have decided to do my blanket with them! I did one sample square & decided my yarn was too thick so I need to go back for something different. blanket stitching is going well though, I’m doing mine with crochet thread.

Great way to get us started, Corey! Thanks.

Carrie P. says:

I am really wanting to do this blanket. I know very little crochet so I am wondering if I will be able to follow along?

Sherry says:

I have just started cutting the blocks from a layer cake in Etchings fabric. I hope to get a good start on machine stitching the blocks later today and crochet the blanket stitch in the evenings.

Denise says:

I’m confused on how you get the holes into the fabric with the blanket stitch. Is this done with the large needle like sewing/embroidery or are they pre-done?
    Thank you!

wendiq says:

Guess I’m dense, but…..did you use TWO strands of the perle cotton thread?

wendiq says:

One more question……don’t these squares need a filler and also, don’t they need to be stitched cross wise or in some way to stabilize them?

• 9.1
      Jody says:

The pattern being use doesn’t have a filler, but if you’d like to change it up and use a filler than yes, you’d need to “quilt” the block.

De Hunold says:

I wonder how the squares would hold up if the edges were served? Serging would certainly save lots of sewing time, turning and pressing.

Did Cindy put up Part 2 of the tutorial? I can’t find it on her blog?? Thanks… can’t wait to get started on my own.

SilNoe says:

Me gustaría saber cual es el punto de crochet empleado para la guarda de cada plazas … Se solo lo básico . Gracias!!!

SandyCroche says:

coucou
    wouah trop jolie ♥♥♥
    merci beaucoup pour le tuto
    à très vite
    Sandy

[...] Fusion Blanket Crochet Along – There are tons of pictures and links involved in this Crochet Along from Little Miss Shabby, but I’ve linked to a good starting point. Basically, it’s a fantastic way to use smallish pieces of fabric and combine them with yarn to get an amazing blanket that’s a bit of both! There’s a flickr group for inspiration, but this one from Bee In My Bonnet is my favorite! [...]

Tamara says:

Love this crochet along! So pretty! Found you via pinterest links and posted a link to this page on my blog today: http://tinyurl.com/unpinning-pinterest

[...] I was at Jo Ann’s, I thought – … I wonder if I can crochet?  There is a Fusion Crochet thing happening on some blogs and I thought that it would be interesting to try one or two blocks to [...]

Char says:

I heard about this on “The quilting Pot” podcast. It sounds like fun and a great way to use my many scraps. Can’t wait to get started

[...] that’s got you guessing hasn’t it?! 4. x and + quilt . It keeps calling me! 5. As does fusion blanket crochet 6. Summerville quilt – again, I know what I mean 7. Dear Jane – she really needs a [...]

1. Unpinning Pinterest 8/14/12 | moogly 14 08 12